YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, June 16, 2014

Literacy Project - Padlet

Every day in my classroom, students write about what they are reading. Typically I give my students a prompt and they respond to it in their journals using either a text I have read aloud or a book that they are reading independently. In my graduate class, I was introduced to an online tool called Padlet which allows users to create a "wall" that they can then post text, images, videos, etc. The best part about this tool is that users can share the URL (which they can personalize!) with others who can then post on the wall without having an account. This allows for communication and collaboration with others. For additional information about Padlet check out these links!

Ways to Use Padlet in the Classroom

For my literacy project, I chose to use Padlet with my advanced level students. These four students are all reading at a fourth grade independent reading level. They have participated in literature circles, reader's theater, and are advanced in both reading and writing. For this project, these students read Return of the Homework Machine by Dan Gutman which is a sequel to the original story The Homework Machine. The original story was a favorite among this group of students so I chose for these students to read the sequel in a reader's theater model where they each take on the role of one of the main characters in the text. This correlates well with the structure in which this text is written - where each character is speaking about what happened that previous summer. At different points while they are reading the text, I used Padlet to provide them with prompts to respond and reflect on the text. The idea is that these students will begin to think more deeply about the characters and plot and be able to reflect on what their peers are saying and thinking. Additionally, I will provide feedback to the students as they respond to the text on the Padlet wall. Below is an image of this Padlet that my students used for this project. To see more check out our URL: http://www.padlet.com/jwolanin/ROTHM

3 comments:

  1. Jess, I just love this idea of having students respond to text using Padlet. I think it is one of the easier tools to begin the year with, while at the same time I feel like you can do a lot of creative things with it at a more advanced level as the year progresses. I feel like it would be motivating for students to want to give a better effort on their responses because they would know that everyone will be able to see their responses...on the "wall"! Great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love how you used padlet with your second graders! What a great way to give immediate, meaningful feedback to your students! I also agree that having a "wall" that everyone can see motivates students to give their best answers. Do your students have keyboarding instruction? They seem really good at typing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, the fact that second graders are reading this text is impressive in and of itself! I love that you have used Padlet not only to make them accountable for their written responses, but also to motivate them to do their best work as it is shared for everyone to see. I am definitely stealing this idea and trying it with my students next year. What an excellent way to meet the diverse needs of your top learners. Way to go!

      Delete