YayBlogger.com
BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Fables Galore!

As part of the second grade curriculum, students in my classroom participate in a unit where they study the elements of fables. Once students understand the elements of a fable, they look at examples of fables and assess each one based on the elements as well as establishing what the lesson, theme, or moral is portrayed in that text. As a culminating activity, students create their own fable with a lesson, theme, or moral of their choice. In an effort to provide students with additional examples of fables, I created a digital story of a fable about a Leopard and Monkey centered around the theme of "you must work for all you get."

Next year when teaching this unit, I plan to include this digital story to show my students an additional example of a fable but also to show a way in which they can create and publish their own fables. This fable was created using Storybird which is a tool that I am still new to. In a previous post I shared my experience with using it for the first time. After more exploration with this tool and allowing my students some time to explore, I must say that I can better see the positives and abilities of this program. While there are still limitations to Storybird, I must say that the pros outweigh the cons and I plan to use this website more often with my students.




Please note that this just a rough draft of my digital story. If you have any ideas for changes or improvements to the story and/or ways in which this can be integrated into the curriculum, please comment and share them below.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

I have since used this fable in my classroom to introduce Storybird to my students and I have found that the students LOVED that I wrote this story and that they can become authors themselves using this online tool. Some other ways in which I believe educators can use Storybird in their classroom are:

- Educators can create assignments and grade using the program
- Educators can create a library on Storybird which students can access and see everyone's stories
- Teach a lesson on details by having students describe the images provided in the galleries
- Teach a lesson on expanding sentences using the details of the images.
- Use it for prewriting or organizing
- Teachers can use it to work on emergent reading skills with young readers
- Have students collaborate to create a story as a group
- Have students free write using the images to create a story

There are so many ways in which educators can use Storybird in their classrooms! How would you use Storybird with your students?

1 comment:

  1. Great use of story bird! Teaching students how to analyze and understand fables can be very tricky for second graders! I think by using this digital tool you will capture students attention to the elements found within a fable. You mentioned having your students write their own fable. Do you think you will allow them to use storybird? I'm excited to try storybird with my students next year. Maybe our students could exchange stories next year via storbird. Is that possible?

    ReplyDelete